Dos and Don’ts
Dos and Don’ts
Situated 14 kms from Katra and at an altitude of 35,000 feet from sea level, Mata Vaishno Devi is one of the holiest and most effortful pilgrimages for devotees all over the world. Instilled with hope and faith of seeking blessings from the Divine Mother, every year thousands of pilgrims undertake the Vaishno Devi Yatra. However, before you decide to start the holy pilgrimage, here are some dos and don’ts that you must know.
1. To get your yatra or pilgrimage slip, you must first approach the registration counter which is at Katra. Then only you can trek to enter the temple. Without the Slip you cannot cross beyond the check post of Ban Ganga.
2. Then make sure to confirm the cost of Ponies, Palanquins as well as porters in advance to make your trek hassle free.
3. Prior to Darshan, wash yourself by cleaning your clothes. Many pilgrims take a dip at the Ban Ganga, but you can use the water facilities available at the shrine to clean yourself.
4. Once you reach Bhawan from the check post get your Yatra slip and join the queue.
5. Then wait for the announcement of your slip number for starting your Darshan.
6. Do take Prasad or the gracious offering with you and avoid crowding for darshans at Gate number 1.
7. Visit the Bhairav Nath temple only after paying your prayers at the Holy Shrine.
1. While trekking ahead till the shrine premises, avoid resting in the areas that are prone to landslides. These areas are clearly demarcated, so make sure to avoid these regions for your own safety
2. Try to avoid unnecessary electronic items or even a smartphone or a video camera, or any other items because these are strictly prohibited. But, if you keep them, put them in the storage area on the top.
3. Be compassionate for your co-pilgrims and understand their sentiments. Maintain cooperation and help anyone who is in dire need of help along the journey or in the shrine.
4. Avoid valuables in the trek to keep them aloof from the strangers. So don’t carry any valuable gems or items made up of gold or any other precious metals along your journey.
5. There is a strict no on the use of tobacco and make sure that you don’t litter along the way or throw away plastic bags here and there.
6. Offering any sort of tip or dakshina to the temple employees isn’t admissible and it is highly discouraged. All sorts of donations are accepted at the donation box only.
7. Do maintain the cleanliness of the shrine when you reach the temple.
8. The new route has no provisions for the pony rides, so devotees who prefer pony rides must take the old route.
9. It is not allowed to chant any sort of slogans inside the cave.
Follow the above listed tips and make your pilgrimage to Vaishno Devi a huge success.